2012-06-02

Apocalypse not Televised but in Second Life

Trill created a post-apocalyptic world; huge and winded. Trill worked more than 2 months on it. She added so many ideas that it is a whole world to explore. I got lost in it with much fun not to miss any corner.

 

And this, despite I became a bit allergic against post apocalyptic sceneries. There has been a time when I was a passionate science fiction reader. But at a certain point it became fashion to describe future worlds of destruction, dirt, violence and ugliness. That pulled me to much down and I lost fun. And with my ongoing studies of philosophy I more and more understood that our mind creates the world and not the other way round as still most people believe. From that perspective it is even wrong to burden the mind with pessimistic visions.



Trill shows another world. There was an apocalypse too. But she shows how the people expose their creativity and are creating small oasis’ of hope. I met Eupalinos Ugajin who took a photo of one of my favourite sceneries:

"Bringing Optimism" is the comment of Eupalinos Ugajin to this work

The wall paintings are giving hints about that what happened. And as always I felt in love with the outstanding quality of her textures.


Take the ferry to the island

Taken from Trill’s note card about the work: "My take on the apocalypse is not meant to be fear mongery but bravery mongery. What’s there to be brave about if you’re not first of all afraid of something?

“Let me not pray to be sheltered from dangers, but to be fearless in facing them. Let me not beg for the stilling of my pain, but for the heart to conquer it.”
~ Rabindranath Tagore (famous Indian poet)”

It open this weekend together with the great work of Betty Tureaud which I already presented.

Taxi to both installations at Split Screen:  http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Beleza/36/219/1501

 

1 comment:

Deep Space Norah said...

I am so disappointed to have missed this exhibit. Optimism in the face of terror seems like such a meaningful expression, on top of being beautiful. Long sighs.