2012-11-22

Violence Against Women

It is the 3rd year now that the Italian community supports with the event 2Lei the "International Day for the Elimination of Violence against Women" in SL. Sadly still an important theme. There is a dangerous tendency in the Western World to excuse suppression and violence against women either as "cultural heritage", or as "life style". Just have a look at the countless BDSM places in Second Life! It is shocking how many women still do not comprehend the bad game on their costs  or cannot escape. Many of them already experienced violence and/or abuse in childhood. A theme, that those "life stylers" usually do not want to hear.

2Lei again is held at many places. At each one of them you find a board that gives event information and a teleport HUD. I visited a few places. Not all deal with the theme, but many nice and interesting works are to be seen.


Taxi: http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Solaris%20Island/222/161/24



I was especially touched by "Liquid Song", an installation by CapCat Ragu and Meilo Minotaur. "With their usual poetic language CapCat and Meilo can be referring to women in pain desire to disappear, dissolve theirselves in water. Water is the main principle in our body, but it is tears too, it is amniotic fluid... water flows without end, it's rain, it's sea, it's river... it's an element that see human's history without partecipate in it... How can be helpful to imagine us as water when we are suffering?" (taken from the note card). The fragile structures in subtle colors has to be found. Little by little they reveal pain and suffer in their expression.


For I am mist
For I am frost
I want to go back to my liquid form

I want to melt
I want to drop
I want to go back to my liquid form

For I am mist
For I am frost
I want to go back to my liquid form

I want to rain
I want to river
I want to go back to my liquid form

For I am mist
For I am frost
I want to go back to my liquid form


Taxi: http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Solaris%20Island/226/191/3693







1 comment:

Unknown said...

Ty. There are some events again. Look the calendar events here http://secondlife2lei.blogspot.it/2012/11/2lei-calendario-eventi.html