2013-01-22

Great Project: Artists for SL + The beauty of Avatars


Jim Slater (jimslater75) is RL photographer and started a really interesting project. From his note card:


"This is a sim dedicated to all passionate artists to come and learn, share, inspire and be inspired.

Some of the great opportunities offered here will be:

*   Mini-galleries for artists to express and expose their work
*   Communal Studio's, sets and props
*   Discussion areas for learning from others, and assisting others.
*   Location, Urban and Creative locations for shoots"


The acceptance and result is more than impressive. When I talked to Jim some days ago, already 98 artists, mainly photgraphers, used the chance to exhibit! Almost daily are coming more. Not only the number of artists is impressive, even more the fact that it truly represents the high level of SL photography and digital art nowadays.


When I took the photos for the blog I realized, that most images show avatars. I was looking for still lives or landscapes, which sell surprising good in Second Live (for virtual homes and other structures). But I found just a few. Artists should take this as recommendation to look for other motifs too in order to raise the sales.


But it was a learning for me too. That, what makes Second Life really unique is the beauty and endless variety of avatars! Avatars are obviously a deep source of inspiration for artists in SL.
Opensim never can beat this!

I know, why I stay in SL.

Taxi: http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Rainbow%20Park%20Island/120/127/1016

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Thank you Quan, you are an inspiration to us all!

Anonymous said...

Jin has given even the less talented people in SL a place to take a bit of pride in there own visions and creations. I am forever in his debt for giving me inspiration, help, knowledge and kindness. He is one of the most indearing people I know...I encourge ALL to stop by and partake of this wonderful sim...from a wonderful man.

Go to the people. Learn from them. Live with them. Start with what they know. Build with what they have. The best of leaders when the job is done, when the task is accomplished, the people will say we have done it ourselves.
Lao Tzu

THANK YOU JIM!!!!

Ronda Saunders said...

" Artists should take this as recommendation to look for other motifs too in order to raise the sales."

Speaking as an SL photographic artist with many friends in the SL art world ,I'd have to say that for most of us it isn't about sales , but about doing what we have a passion for .